Monday, March 14, 2011

dear fashion advisor...

Q. I'm seeing all of these bright colors out there for Spring, and they remind me of the 80's (you know, been there...done that?) How can I incorporate them into my wardrobe in a current way?

A. ah yes...i know what you mean...the old saying is something to the effect: if you remember the trend from the first time around...you probably don't want to jump on board the second time around...but...if you're wanting to give a nod to the current trend...there are a few ways to do it (courtesy of british vogue...thank you very much!)

pair your favorite bright with a neutral - the calming effect of nudes, caffe latte, mushroom and silver grey help diffuse some of the 'pop'...

try a band of black to anchor the neon - whether it's a literal bank of black or a tie-dye effect or even black lace...


go conservative in styling - a prim suit and sensible skirt length will counterbalance the daring of the bright color...



if that's too much for you...try a neon accessory...it'll add an element of surprise to an otherwise neutral outfit...

of course...if you're the dramatic type...you may want to try the head-to-toe column of color...all you need is a brave state of mind...

3 comments:

  1. I think the only trend that I really never wanted to see again were NERU JACKETS! I shudder just to think of them! The spring colors are wonderful and you can do so much without looking like the 80s...great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never gotten over my love of neon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pam - i had to google nehru jkt to see what it was...i remember those...who knew they had their own special name!
    wendyb - ah yes...neon...i don't think i will ever get over my love of neon as well...sometimes when i think back at the suits i wore in my corporate america days...i have to laugh...neon lime green christian dior suit was one of my faves...haha

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin